Posted By mart

Windows 7 and i855 chipset

Final version of Windows 7 is done and it seems that unlike Vista this OS will be a huge success.
There are so many reviews praising this new operating system from Microsoft and everyone is so excited about it. Computers that had very hard time running Windows Vista do not have to be replaced or trashed as W7 should run quite well on it.

There is however one big issue – Windows 7 no longer supports XDDM drivers as Vista did. Instead it just uses the ‘Standard VGA Adapter’ which is good only for standard resolutions. And critical thing for notebook users – it does not allow you to hibernate or put the computer to sleep.┬áMany great Centrino notebooks were shipped with i855 or i915 chipset and integrated graphics that do not support Aero. In Vista it was possible to use XP drivers and everything was fine, but in Windows 7 this no longer works.

Since I really wanted to use Windows 7 on my ThinkPad X40 (i855), I spend hours searching the internet for solution. And I succeeded! This is a step-by-step guide how to make it work:

1. bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
2. bcdedit.exe -set nointegritychecks ON
3. reboot to safe mode
4. open Computer Management, update driver for the Display Adapter using THIS drivers (only this version works!)
5. wait for the succesful installation message, reboot in normal mode
6. wait for the ‘New Hardware Found’ dialog to finish, it should give you error for one of the adapters
7. reboot to normal mode
8. wait for the ‘New Hardware Found’ dialog to finish, it should be successful this time
9. reboot to normal mode
10. change the color depth to 32-bit

Please note that I wasn’t the one who found out how to do this and I don’t want to steal credit for it. It is a compilation of various solutions I found on the internet that for some reasons didn’t fully work for me.

EDIT 04/09/2010: the first line is not required, the next one is enough.

Responses to this post » (28 Total)

1. Mickey says:

hi, mart!

Your solution worked for my old laptop from “clevo”!!! Thank you very much!

I didn’t get error for adapter in step 6, though.

The “aero” still does not function, but I can choose it in “Personalize”.

Once again – thank you!!!

Mickey

2. Splify says:

Thanks mart,

didn’t get an error either – only thing that worked which I could find.

Your a savior.

3. Splify says:

Also, DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    Should be DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

Was working blind till I noticed that… :)

4. mart says:

Glad it works for you.

Some sites wrote DDISABLE, some DISABLE, I used the first one and got it working, so it seems like it has no effect at all.

I changed it to DISABLE as it seems to be the correct parameter. Thanks!

5. abud says:

very interesting …
    I also i855 user
    but I’m still confused steps 1 and 2
    1. bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    2. bcdedit.exe -set nointegritychecks ON
    how it was changing settings?

6. mart says:

The drivers we are installing are not meant for Windows 7 so we need to disable the internal checks inside the OS that would normally stop the installation from succeeding.
    Just run those two commands from command line – make sure you run it as administrator, otherwise you get error.

7. jon shorter says:

Thank you :D This worked first time – I’ve not been using this laptop as I couldn’t get it working with any other solutions on t’internet. genius xD

8. h8me says:

Thanks for this :)

Since my T40 (1.5GHz, 1GB RAM) has ATI Mobility Radeon 7500, i forced to install XP drivers as you described, after some bullshiting and ingoring my attempts I finally forced to install them properly…

BUT: still cant play videos in fullscreen (eg youtube), makes em distorted; FnF3 combo to shutdown LCD is not working…

Basicly same result as with DNA-ATI drivers which I have tried previously, this setup however so far seems to be more stable.

Anyway thx :D

9. mart says:

I returned back to Vista on my X40 exactly for the same reasons you describe – so many problems caused by the video drivers as well as power management not working properly. With 1.5GB RAM and SSD and little bit of tweaking, Vista works like a charm.

10. h8me says:

well in last 2 weeks I have tried to run almost everything I could run on T40.. starting with XP pro SP2/SP3 (which worked ok for almost 2years but then the mighty BSOD-reign started), Win7 Pro 32bit, Ubuntu series (8.10, 9.10) Linux, DOS :D

Unfortunatelly I dont have Vista instal disc since Vista came preinstalled on my second notebook (now it runs Win7 64bit) so I cant legally try it on my T40. But I guess I wouldnt do that anyway since Vista is really bad bad OS.

So I have to cope with Win7 somehow, all the things I have to do work properly, except USB 2.0 support which due to some BS with chipset aint working faster than USB 1.1 which suxx with 8GB usb drive. But hey, I got win7 for free since I am student so I guess I shouldnt be bitchin :D

I really wonder why IBM/Lenovo aint supporting 40/50′s series anymore.. those CPU are remarkable due to underclocking options, their performance is great for singlecore, chasis and build quality still rule… when I sum it up, my T40 is 7 years old now, it is still better than all those netbooks and cheap lowend notebooks available nowadays :D

11. Marakkar says:

Does this solution work with Acer Travelmate C300 with Intel 82852/82855 chip? I am planning to install Windows 7 on it.

12. mart says:

Hello Marakkar, it should work without problems. It worked for me on IBM X40, Acer Travelmate 4500 and NEC Versa M340 – all these notebooks were first generation of centrino with Intel 82855 chipset and the installation was the same.

13. Sriver says:

mart, the above procedure works well but the specs written under DXDIAG, video tab, was only 14mb under win7 while in XP it was 64mb. and when i played CS 1.6, it can only run in software mode.
    need help to enable 3d rendering.

14. ijust says:

Thanks Mart !!!
    I have a Acer Travelmate C300 with a i855 chipset and i wanted to ‘upgrade’ it to W7 Ultimate. But it occured many problems with the display (bad colors, freeze, 8bits style, …). I searched many times but gave up. Your solution works perfectly! But I still can’t activate Aero. Is it normal?
    Anyway Thanx ;)

15. mike says:

Hi, mart. Thanks for the solution. I have an Acer TM C300 and it worked fine. One issue (you mentioned briefly in your post), though, is that while with the windows 7 generic driver I didn’t have 32bit depth color and higher resolution, I did have hibernate. With the driver you’ve provided, I have neither hibernate nor sleep modes. Is there a way to get these back without reverting back to the generic driver?
    Thanks!

16. mart says:

2 Sriver: The only games I tried to run are Jagged Alliance 2 and Incubation and both run fine, but these are not the best candidates for 3D graphics tests. I’ll try CS and let you know the result within few days.

17. mart says:

2 ijust: Aero won’t work on anything older than Intel 945GM graphics – these chipsets were used in Centrino Duo notebooks, with the original Centrino (855/915) you will never get Aero to work unless you write your own drivers :)

18. mart says:

2 mike: This happens when the driver just finished installing, it needs one more reboot. Check in device manager under Display Adapters that you have two Intel adapters and not the Standard VGA Adapter, and reboot. After that it should work fine.

19. mike says:

Restart didn’t do it, and in checking Device Manager, it listed both devices as having been halted due to errors. I backed out both devices and started from scratch. It worked the second time. Thanks for this excellent fix!

20. mart says:

2 Sriver: installed Steam + Half-Life (the original, not Source) as I don’t have CS, but it should be fine as they use the same engine. On first launch the game complained that the video mode is not supported and switched to software mode. Tried OpenGL but it didn’t work, D3D did, but make sure you set the color quality to 32-bit! Default is 640×480 and 16-bit, I ran it quite smoothly in 1024×768 and 32-bit.

21. Chris says:

Worked for my fujitsu-siemens T4010 Tablet!
    Can’t pivot from portrait to landscape and back though :-(
    Any solutions for this?

22. Ben says:

Incredible. Like you, I’d searched for hours. This was the most concise recommendation I found and it worked perfectly the first time. My X40 with a KingSpec SSD is taking names and kicking a$$.

Thanks.

23. Alberto says:

Thanks!! This soluction works perfectly in my DELL Latitude D505.

24. Pixel says:

It’s the best blog! TNX!!!

25. Yuval Leshem says:

Thanks a lot for that post. Now I’ve got a thinkpad x40 with Windows 7 and working sleep mode.
    Instead of getting a new macbook air, for 200$ (150 for a 64 ssd drive + 50 for a new battery) my TP is simply a no brainer. recovery from sleep mode is instant.

Thanks again for a perfect solution.

26. Mitch says:

Thanks. But I’m confused about which .inf file to use when installing the driver. The file http://cmoud.com/files/i855_win7.7z expands into a Win2000 folder with many .inf files. Thanks for any advice.

27. Mitch says:

Thanks. I’m confused about which driver to use. After downloading http://cmoud.com/files/i855_win7.7z, I extract the files and there are many .inf files in a Win2000 directory. Which do I choose? Thanks for any advice.